If you are a power phone user or have a business without a phone number, you may consider signing up for Google Voice since it’s now available to the public. It’s also free except for out-bound International callling (alternative to Skype). Here are some benefits:
- Free Local DID Number – You get a free local number in your area code.
- Call Routing – You could forward your direct office or home phone number to Goolge Voice to give you more control over forwarding. You can configure Google Voice to ring at an unlimited number of destinations.
- Cell Phone Number Privacy – If you don’t want to give out your cell phone number, you can give your Google voice number out and forward it to your cell phone.
- Blocking – One of the most powerful featues, you can block specififed phone numbers including 800 numbers. The current Telcos don’t allow you to block 800 number so if you’re getting an annyoying 800 number that you want to block, forward it to Google Voice for a few weeks and your problem will be solved.
- Text Messaging with Voice Mail Transcription – If you get a voice mail message, you can configure Google Voice to send you a SMS message with the text transcription of the voice mail. This is very cool!
Here’s the Google Voice signup page.