Google+ just went to Beta and if you are the type of business that is an Early Adopter and wants to have the latest and the greatest, you should signup for Google+ (Google Plus or G+). Google+ might be categorized as Google’s competitive service to Facebook. It’s currently an Invite Only beta but unlike some Google Betas, existing Google+ users appear to have an unlimited number of invites.
Here are some observations:
- Google Profiles — It has been deprecated or phased out and will become your Google Plus, About Page.
- Google PicasaWeb — After you activate your Google+ Account, check the permissions on your Google PicasaWeb Albums. Any Photos that you might have uploaded without a private setting may have a default permission of visible and be seen by Google Plus users.
- Google +1 — After installing Google+ it entered some very random URLs under go Google Plus +1 tab (similar to the Facebook Likes feature). This algorithm was a complete dart throw and possibly could contain private data.
- Google +1 — Google is now displaying the 1+ button on their search engine results and the idea is that websites suggested by your friends are more relevant.
- Google+ Hangout — You can open a Video Chat Window after installing the Plugin and chat with your friends (don’t forget to turn it off!).
- Google+ Notifications — The default setting is to email you any time there is any activity on your Google+ Account. This would includes Posts, Photos and Huddle (Conversations). You can disable these notifications: Google+ Settings.
- Connected Accounts — By default my LinkedIn, Twitter and Yelp Accounts were enabled. Facebook was not. After connecting this accounts, my postings appeared under the Google+ Profiles Page, Buzz tab.
- Invites – You must send a separate invite from the G+ Home Page. The G+ Invite button is on the bottom right hand side of the page. You can add a Friend to your Circles or Groups, but that will not automatically send them a G+ Invite.
- Circles – Your Circles contains of list of Google Mail or Gmail Accounts and other Google+ Users. If a picture exists, then it is likely the user has an active G+ account. You can add friends to a Circle, even if they don’t have an active G+ account.
- Following Circle – You can search for and find Individuals and Celebs using the G+ Search Box much like Facebook and Twitter.
Google Plus Extensions
- Twitter – There is a Google+ Twitter client that adds another tab to the Google+ or G+ interface. I installed Google+ Tweet — unfortunately, it is very slow. It works with the Google Chrome Browser as a Chrome Extension.
- Google+Facebook Extension — This Google Chome Browser Extension from Crossrider adds a Tab in Google+ with your Facebook Wall, although after I installed it, the Twitter Tab disappeared.
Impact on Businesses
- Google +1 Button Code — Here’s the link with the code to add a Google +1 button to your website or blog. Once you add this button to your site, a list of the links will appear in your Google+ Profile Page, +1’s tab. Businesses should add the Google +1 button to their sites!
- Google Plus for Businesses — This could be a future product. In the interim, you should not create a Business Account for G+. It is for individuals only.
If you are interested in a Google + Invite, please let me know.